Saturday, November 10, 2012

4 WordPress Security Tips


I discovered that of my older domains which I use anymore but still receives trickles of traffic every so often & with it a handful of affiliate sales per month had been hacked. All of the files had been deleted, & what was worse was that when I inquired in to the site I found that I hadn't backed up the database in some time. Therefore I urge everyone to celebrate & recognize today as WordPress Safety Day with me by following these WordPress security tips.

Backup

I hadn't backed up that site which got hacked in well over a year. This is inexcusable thinking about there is plenty of free plugins which enable you to schedule backups. I could not even discover a recent backup from my hosting provider whom I set the database up with, either.

I recommend that you install a backup plugin such as WP-DB-Backup. It is a free plugin and of my best WordPress plugins for 2012 which while it's not been updated in awhile it gets the job done in that you can select the exact files which you need to back up and either generate backups on demand or you can schedule them to be emailed to you time every hour, day, week, etc. so that you know that everytime you have any issues (security or technical) together together with your site you'll have that backup.

You may even backup your site through your hosting/database provider and it is a lovely suggestion because backing up your database means backing up all of your posts, pages, plugins, and preferences. I recommend that you go ahead and backup all of your sites now.


I do know it can be annoying to get bugged by WordPress to update to the latest version every week or so, but WordPress updates are paramount to the security of your site. Hackers are always looking for ways to compromise WordPress' security & discover a way to get in to your site for their own amusement or gains, which is why it is essential that you stay up to date with WordPress' updates as they generate these updates in part to fix compromising errors & holes in their security which could be exploited.
wp pipeline review

Update

You ought to limit the permissions for your various files & folders which make up your site as much as feasible while still being able to operate & function properly. You can alter the permissions to read, write (which means read & write), & execute (which refers to read, write, delete, alter) your files & folders in relation to you, a group, or everyone. The less permissions you can permit, the more secure your site will be, but positive plugins which need access to positive files won't be able to unless they have permission.
wp pipeline review

Password

Finally, keep in mind to adjust your passwords every so often. It is a pleasant habit to get in to writing down your passwords for your login, database, etc. & updating them every month or so if feasible. & you have probably heard this thousands of times from someone you keep passwords with, but avoid simple to crack identity related passwords. A pleasant password is comprised of numbers, letters (upper case & lower), & symbols.

Learn more about wp pipeline review

No comments:

Post a Comment